Sunday, September 9, 2007

Stuck

Within my own mapping, I feel that I have reached the point that is comparable to Tufte’s data maps showing cancer. Sure, I have some data that will give the viewer an insight to what interesting thing is going on, but I am still searching for the next level: I am missing that “umph” of data that when combined with my “interesting data” will seek a causation, explanation, or correlation to what I have mapped. If Tufte had mapped the concentrations of the chemical industry over his stomach cancer data, the new data would start to bring an elevation in significance and a new level of understanding to the graphic; reminiscent of Gilbert’s Cholera map.

1 comment:

nicholas said...

It sounds like you are almost there, Beth! what would the corollary to tufte's non-mapping of industry be in your own reseach?